Since moving to a different country, I’ve been short on baking supplies. At the moment I have one round cake pan, a sheet cake pan, and bread pans. (All of these pans were given to me, which I’m really grateful for).
So I had to make due.
If I wanted to make a cake, it either had to be a sheet cake or, with only one round cake pan, half a cake. I’ve also been using my sheet cake pan to make cookies, but I wanted to make something a little different.
Chocolate chip cookie bars.
It’s no out-of-this-world baking discovery, but I had never tested a recipe like this before. Being a Pinterest fanatic, it seems as if every dessert that you could possibly think of has been created, even the most ridiculous sounding combinations have been attempted. (Let’s just say that just because two foods are delicious separately doesn’t mean they’re meant to be combined).
Anyway. An unmistakable food combination is cookies and ice cream. In my opinion, these cookie bars taste best warm, fresh from the oven and topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream (or whatever flavor you want).
You can also add whatever you want such as walnuts or white chocolate chips. Be creative!
- 2 cups self-raising gluten-free flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- (optional) 1/4 cup walnuts
- Heat oven to 350ºF (177ºC). Grease a 9×13 baking pan.
- Combine flour, salt and baking soda in a mixing bowl.
- In a standing mixer bowl, combine butter and brown sugar. Blend together until combined. Add one egg at a time and continue to blend.
- Slowly add in the flour to the mixture. Gently stir in chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- Cut into squares and enjoy with a scoop of ice cream!