I can’t tell you how excited I was when these cupcakes came out exactly how I imagined in my head. I haven’t had a red velvet cupcake/cake in years. I recently read a book called How to Eat a Cupcake by Meg Donohue and it inspired me to try my hand at some cupcake recipes. I even bought some frosting tips to make the cupcakes look extra good. I actually enjoyed decorating them and will definitely be stepping up my frosting game from now on.
I’ve always wanted to make red velvet cupcakes but I never had the ingredients and was too lazy to go to the store. This time was no different but I just asked my husband to get the ingredients for me. Haha. And I’m so glad I finally tried to make these cupcakes because they will now be one of my go-to recipes when I needa make a dessert for a dinner or whenever we have people over. Another one of my go-to recipes is my chocolate cake recipe. So definitely check that one out when you have a chance. It’s my most popular recipe.
Makes 12 cupcakes
- 1 cup 2 tablespoons gluten-free self-raising flour (non starch-based)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg, large
- 2 teaspoons red food coloring
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line cupcake pan and lightly grease liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine oil, sugar, and egg and mix until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda until well combined.
- Slowly incorporate flour into sugar mixture. Mix slowly until all the flour is combined.
- Add in buttermilk, vinegar, and vanilla and mix. Then add in food coloring and mix well.
- Add in boiled water and slowly mix. (Make sure the water is freshly boiled and hasn’t been sitting there for some time. I will boil my water in a kettle right before I add it in.)
- Spoon mixture into cupcake pan evenly, each cup will be about about 2/3 – 3/4 full. Bake for 17-18 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting. (Here is a link to the frosting I used)
Let me know how your cupcakes turn out! And don’t forget to follow my Instagram to keep up with my latest recipes.