If you’re not Mexican, “pink cake” may actually sound like some cake version of “mystery meat.” This cake is basically a vanilla cake with pink-dyed vanilla frosting — but BETTER.
Side note: I’m back from visiting family and friends in Texas, and I already miss it so much. So this is my attempt of creating recipes for foods that remind me of home. Also, sorry I haven’t posted much in the past month or so. Traveling and settling in back in Australia really had us busy. Ok, back to the recipe.
I don’t know what it actually is about this cake that makes it taste so delicious, so I looked it up. The verdict? I still don’t know. I did find the non-gluten-free version of this cake, though — aka a “normal” recipe for this cake — but if I want to eat it, I had to make a gluten-free version of it. So here it is:
- 2 1/2 cups gluten-free self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 eggs, large
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup lactose-free milk
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons lactose-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- A few drops of red food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (176ºC). Grease a 9×13-inch pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, eggs, oil, and vanilla and mix until creamy. While mixing, alternate between adding the flour mixture and milk until the batter is smooth.
- Pour into prepared pan. The batter may be somewhat thick, use a baking spatula to smooth over. Bake for 22-24 minutes. Be careful not to over-bake, which will result in a dry cake.
- Once cake has completely cooled, prepare frosting by whisking the powdered sugar, butter, milk, and vanilla together until well-blended. Add a few drops of the food coloring and stir. Add food coloring until you reach a pink color.
- Frost the cake and let sit or chill in the fridge. The frosting will harden once it has set.
2 thoughts on “Mexican Panadería-Style “Pink Cake” | Gluten-free”
I love these pink cakes with some coffee. Especially out in service when you’re going on break! *lol* So glad we got to visit while you were here! I’m still making it a goal to go visit! The ultimate treat for myself, yaay! Glad to see your posts, keep them coming!
LikeLiked by 1 person
The perfect combo! 😋☕️ can’t wait for you to visit!