If you’re anything like me, you’d pick pancakes over eggs and toast any day. But sometimes whipping up some pancakes isn’t as easy as … well … “whipping up some pancakes.” And it’s pretty difficult making pancakes for one without making enough to feed a colony — aside from the “2-ingredient pancakes” recipe you see all over Pinterest that we both know aren’t really pancakes.
And then there’s French toast.
There’s a reason why I gravitate more towards French toast most mornings: It’s so simple yet so delicious!
When my husband and I went to Tasmania a couple months back, we went to this little cafe for breakfast and THEY. HAD. GLUTEN-FREE. FRENCH. TOAST. I had to try it. And yes, it was delicious. And yes, it had bacon. And yes, it’s all I’ve been thinking about for two months. Why didn’t my French toast taste like that?? To be honest, I started to give up on trying to make French toast that was just as good. But I had this itch to try adding a bit of gluten-free flour to my French toast. Yes I felt ridiculous adding flour to bread but I just sprinkled a tiny bit on both sides of the bread. And it absolutely worked! It added the toasty crispiness that my French toast had been lacking.
And that, my friends, is the secret to making gluten-free French toast taste so much better.
• 2 slices of gluten-free white bread
• 1 large egg
• 2 tablespoons milk
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• gluten-free all-purpose flour, for sprinkling
• butter, for greasing pan
• confectioners sugar, for sprinkling
•cinnamon, for sprinkling
•sliced bananas (optional)
1. Heat up non-stick pan over medium high heat.
2. Whisk together egg, milk, and vanilla.
3. Grease the bottom of the heated pan with butter.
4. Dip each slice of bread in egg mixture and place on buttered pan,
5. Using your fingers, sprinkle a bit of flour on both sides of each slice of bread and allow them to cook for a few minutes. Flip the bread once the bottom side has browned. If necessary, add more butter to the pan. (The more butter the better)
6. Once both sides of the bread are toasted, transfer to plate and sprinkle your desired amount of sugar and cinnamon. Top with bananas and drizzle with maple syrup. Enjoy!