If you love cinnamon rolls, you’ll LOVE this recipe!
This may be the “lazy” way to satisfy that cinnamon roll craving, but I can’t complain. Honestly, I’ve never actually tried to make gluten-free cinnamon rolls before. They look difficult to make without even having to make them gluten-free. Seems like a lot of work just for them not to come out equally as amazing as normal cinnamon rolls. But who knows, I might try it some day.
Anyway, here’s an easy alternative. The best part is you probably already have all these ingredients in your pantry and won’t have to make an extra trip to the grocery store! Double bonus.
My husband was just getting home from work when I had already put the cake in the oven. He hardly even said hi to me before he was distracted by the wonderful cinnamon aroma this cake creates. It will leave your house smelling like a Bath & Body Works candle. It’s that good.
The cinnamon topping really is the secret to this recipe. While it’s baking, it somehow manages to melt into the cake looking like you did some kind of fancy cinnamon swirl. This is the kind of dessert you can make when you want a quick fix for that honeybun you’ve been craving since you were 10. Enjoy!
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour, self-rising
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup lactose-free milk
- Preheat oven to 425º F and lightly grease an 8×8-inch baking dish.
- To begin making the topping, cut the butter into the dark brown sugar and cinnamon until mixture is crumbly.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream together butter and sugar until mixture. Beat in egg and vanilla extract.
- Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture alternating with the milk.
- Transfer batter to greased baking dish, then sprinkle the brown sugar topping over the top.
- Place baking dish in oven and bake for 25-30 minutes. Let cool before serving.