Every once in a while I crave things from home (Texas) that I wouldn’t even be able to eat if I were there because it’s not gluten-free. The double chocolate chip pancakes from IHOP is one of those things.
For some reason I woke up this morning craving these pancakes. So much so that I talked myself outta bed earlier than I would’ve gotten up so that I could have enough time to make them. Mind you, I hadn’t even had my coffee yet. I think I’m due for one right about now.
I guess you could say I took a bit of a shortcut with this one and used my chocolate chip pancake recipe as a guide. I’ve recently discovered, which is probably something that should be obvious, that if you add cocoa powder to a recipe, you need to add a little more sugar. I’m not sure what the exact proportions are, which I’m sure varies on the type of recipe, but I add a tablespoon more to this recipe, which is about 1/3 more than I would add to my normal chocolate chip pancake recipe. Turned out to be the perfect amount for me, any more and I think it would’ve been a bit too sweet to pass off as breakfast.
In the end, I would say getting up a bit earlier to make these pancakes was definitely worth it. You can also halve this recipe if you’re short on time.
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons gluten-free self-rising flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 cups nut milk, I used an original soy milk which has a bit of sweetness
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup — 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- Note: add water or milk if consistency is too thick
- Set stove or griddle to medium-high heat (about 350ºF or lower)
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and cocoa powder in mixing bowl.
- Once thoroughly combined, add in eggs, oil and milk and mix using an electric mixer. If consistency is too thick, add milk or water as needed.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter onto pan or griddle as you would to make pancakes.
3 thoughts on “Double Chocolate Chip Pancakes | Gluten-free, Lactose-free”
Uhm yum!! 😍
LikeLiked by 1 person
Oh lort…. These look so yummy and comforting. I’m sure your kitchen smelled wonderful! Right now, I’ve been craving pumpkin spice french toast. I will probably make some on Sunday. XD Btw, I’m really loving Diary of a Bookseller. I think you mentioned they were doing a show on it? I’d love to see it. Miss you too!! Hope to visit soon ❤
LikeLiked by 1 person
Pumpkin spice everything 😍 even though it’s spring over here, seeing everyone posting things about fall is making me crave pumpkin spice 😅
And yes! They’re making a show on the book that just came out by that author. It’s called Confessions of a Bookseller. I’ve heard it’s kinda the same concept as Diary of a Bookseller. Definitely looking forward to it!