The other day, I was scrolling through Pinterest, as per usual, and I came across a recipe for muffins that only required coconut flour for the “flour” base. I was looking for something sweet to make but that didn’t require too many ingredients. And being that I was running low on ingredients and coconut flour was something I had on hand already, I decided to try these muffins out.
To my surprise, they were actually fluffy and moist and delicious! I couldn’t believe it. The only thing I wanted to fix was the spongey texture that resulted from the number of eggs. Nothing a little experimentation couldn’t fix.
At first, I thought maybe replacing one of the eggs with a banana would help, but the banana flavor was overpowering. Perhaps if I’m making a chocolate banana bread one of these days I can experiment more with this recipe. But I didn’t give up there with the muffins.
So I gave in to adding a little bit of gluten-free all-purpose flour and just took out the extra egg altogether. The mixture came out too dry, just as I had expected it to be so I added some milk to create the right consistency. And voila! Moist double chocolate chip muffins that don’t dry out in a day (I hid the leftovers from my family). Who needs a trip to the bakery when you can just stay in your pj’s all day and make bakery-style muffins from the comfort of your own home!
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup lactose-free milk (or any other milk you prefer)
- 1/4 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1/4 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour (any will do, I used Bisquick Gluten Free Pancake & Baking Mix)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Grease a muffin pan with nonstick spray or you can use muffin paper liners.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, vanilla, oil and milk.
- Add cocoa powder, flours and baking soda. Mix until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Fill 6 muffin tin cups and bake for 20-22 minutes. Mine were done in 20 minutes.
- Allow muffins to cool before devouring.