Cookies and milk. One of the best late-night snacks there is.
If you’re staying away from dairy, there are so many excellent alternatives out there. But if you’re eating strictly gluten-free foods, it can get a bit tough finding the perfect chocolate chip cookie that meets all the cookie standards.
I’ve tried so many cookie recipes it’s ridiculous. Making cookies from scratch with regular flour is tricky as it is. I’ve noticed that the type of flour you use is a huge factor. If some type of starch such as a corn starch is listed at the beginning of the ingredients list on your all-purpose gluten-free flour then you’re good to go. Also, make sure it has a leavening agent of some kind.
I’ve made these cookies several times using different flours with a food starch listed in the beginning of the ingredients list and they turned out just as tasty! I’ve noticed that other flours without starch as the main ingredient made fluffier, cakey cookies.
When making these cookies, make sure your oven is set at 365ºF. This temperature allows for the sugars to caramelize and create a crispier cookie. It’s also extremely important to allow the cookie dough to chill in the fridge for at least 20 minutes. I myself am pretty impatient when it comes to this and that was one of my biggest mistakes.
You will absolutely love these cookies and forget that they’re gluten-free. Hope your cookies turn out just as delicious! If you make these cookies let me know how they came out in the comments xx
- 1 cup + 6 tablespoons self-raising gluten-free flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon + 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 170 grams bittersweet baking chocolate
- Melt butter in a small saucepan. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, pour in melted butter and whisk in sugars. Add egg and vanilla extract.
- Slowly add flour mixture into butter mixture in small portions until batter is mixed together.
- Coarsely chip chocolate leaving a mixture of small and large chunks. Add chunks to batter and mix in with spoon or spatula.
- Chill dough in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 365ºF. After batter is chilled, make dough into balls and place on lined cookie sheet. Leave about 2 inches of space between each cookie ball on the sheet.
- Bake cookies for about 12 minutes. Cookies will turn golden around the edges and look slightly underdone in the center. Do not over-bake. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.