Sometimes all we want is a quick and easy dessert we can make without having to make a mess of the kitchen (and sometimes of yourself).
Thank goodness for frozen gluten-free pastry dough! The recipes are endless when you can get your hands on this stuff. The other day I wanted something sweet but didn’t want to drive all the way to the grocery store (a total of 2 minutes away) just to come back home and run out of motivation to make anything anymore.
I had seen lots of turnover recipes using pastry dough and fruit preserves along with other complicated ingredients that I didn’t have. But I knew I could easily make a dessert that wouldn’t need any extra ingredients like cream cheese and heavy cream. Ever heard of Pop Tarts??
So that’s what I did. I used a sweet pastry dough to make PopTarts/pies and just filled it in with some raspberry preserves I already had on hand. And since the pastry dough is already rolled out for you, all you have to do is cut it into small rectangles and add a scoop of whatever fruit preserves you desire. Easy to prepare, minimal mess, and a delicious dessert. It’s all we could ever want in life.
- 1 sheet of pastry dough (8”x8”)
- 1/2 cup raspberry preserves
- Large egg
- Caster sugar (for topping, optional)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Cut 2”x4” rectangles out of the pastry dough. Whisk egg in small bowl.
- Place 1 tablespoon of raspberry preserves in the center of the pastry strip.
- Fold one end of the strip on top of the preserves. Brush a little egg wash on top of the folded part. Fold the other end on top and press gently on the ends so that they stick together.
- Flip the strudel onto a lined cookie tray. Using a knife, make two cuts on top of the strudels. Brush with some egg wash and sprinkle with caster sugar.
- Repeat for each pastry strip.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.