These chocolate chip scones are a hit for both kids and adults because you can’t ever go wrong with chocolate chips!
Over the years, Del Rio has made it easier to have a gluten-free lifestyle. The local grocery stores now carry a few gluten-free all-purpose flour brands along with ready-made pastries and snacks. However, the price can add up over time. If you choose to bake at home instead of splurging on ready-made desserts, you will save quite a bit.
These chocolate chip scones are easy to make and take less than 15 minutes to bake. The trick is to use cold butter for shredding. This will create a flakier texture — similar to pie crusts.
You don’t have to miss out on yummy desserts with a gluten-free lifestyle! Bon appétit!
- 2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
- 1 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- (Optional: 2 tablespoons unsalted butter and 2 tablespoons white sugar)
- Preheat oven to 450ºF. Prepare a baking sheet with paper lining or non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Shred cold butter using a cheese grater into the flour mixture. Mix using a fork to create a crumbly texture.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg, sour cream and vanilla extract. Slowly add to flour mixture and mix until combined. Once incorporated, roll dough into a ball.
- On a floured counter or tabletop, shape dough into a 1-inch thick circle, about 8 inches round. Cut dough into 8 wedges and place onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown.
- (Optional) Melt 2 tablespoons of butter and smother onto top of scones. Sprinkle sugar as added topping.)