The summertime may have ended in Texas, but the rising temperatures in Australia and other parts of the world certainly say otherwise.
The past couple of months have been an adventure. I spent it in Australia.
Being in North Queensland for most of my time, I grew to love strawberries because:
- They are everywhere
- They are cheap
- They are bursting with flavor
Living in south Texas, I was raised with the idea that strawberries were bland and the inconvenience of seeds and red bits stuck in your teeth was in no way appealing to me. But when most of us travel, we seem to adapt more to the environment — whether it be trying new foods or learning how to live in the most effective way possible.
Traveling to Australia was one of those moments for me.
So. if you find yourself in Australia in the coming months, this recipe may come in handy. You will win the hearts of the locals with a “cuppa” and a slice of homemade strawberry pound bread. However, I would suggest using the Yes You Can Gluten & Dairy Free Self-Raising Flour in place of the Bisquick flour suggested in the ingredients below.
Fortunately, I didn’t have to struggle too much looking for a gluten-free all-purpose flour in the shops, but it will always be trial and error.
- 2 cups strawberries (sliced)
- 2 cups Bisquick Gluten Free Pancake & Baking Mix
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 cup melted butter (salted)
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Mix sugars.
- Place the two cups of strawberries in a bowl, and sprinkle two teaspoons of the sugar mix over the strawberries and gently toss. Set bowl aside.
- Mix melted butter and sugar mix in a large bowl using a mixer. Slowly add in eggs, milk and vanilla until all ingredients are mixed together.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until mixed. Fold the strawberries into the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a greased loaf pan and place in oven. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until center is set.